Tuesday 14 February 2012

Orang-utan 1


I have been exploring the art of 'scatchboard' the last couple of months. It was well used by commercial artists for many years before technology took over but it is slowly making a come back with a few artist around the world.
There aren't many practitioners (really good ones that is) which makes it all the more appealing to me.
It is a very difficult material to handle and I wear cotton gloves at all times. I have also learnt at some cost, not to cough, sneeze, blow on or otherwise get any kind of moisture and the working surface...I kid you not. Hours of work can be lost so easily when the Matt black ink surface of the (expensive) scratchboard comes into contact with moisture or grease so it is worth taking precautions in handling and the environment you're working in.
Scratchboard is basically a thinnish board that has been coated in white china clay and then layered with black ink. Scratching away at the ink to reveal the white clay underneath is what creates the image which means the artist is effectively working in reverse...like a negative but the results are quite stunning in the hands of an expert, especially when replicating feather and fur.
I also find the technique very therapeutic which keeps my blood pressure down.....so hours of practise ahead I think.

The same pic in more detail...

No comments:

Post a Comment